Urban Systems Engineering
In the scope of industrial consulting projects as well as research projects funded at national and international levels, the teams of Urban Systems Engineering scientists conduct research on creative and inspiring approaches and business models for sustainable, livable and adaptable cities, logistics and safety of tomorrow.
Envisioning the life and urban settings of tomorrow, developing future-oriented urban infrastructures, creating space and shaping society in a sustainable manner
Urban systems in interaction with people, technology and the space they occupy
Some current projects entail the creation of innovative participation methods and co-creative processes to involve people in development projects that will jointly shape the livable cities of tomorrow. Our scientists tap into the opportunities provided by digitalization, IT and communication technologies in built-up areas. We also create organizational and information technology concepts for our customers, in compliance with the latest data protection regulations, to further develop urban processes in the best possible way. In addition, our interdisciplinary teams carry out in-depth research on the societal consequences of urban developments and put current scientific knowledge to use.
Our Urban Systems Engineering researchers focus on:
• System solutions for customer-friendly logistics and services that are geared to demand
• Identification and assessment of service potential in the sphere of urban logistics
• Integrated management of urban parking facilities and setup of microhubs in city centers
• Scientific assistance on experiments and reality labs in urban spaces
• Development of intelligent district concepts
• »Morgenstadt – city of the future« as a new paradigm of urban development
• Internationalization of potential solutions for sustainable construction and urban planning
• Use of creative formats for the transdisciplinary networking of stakeholders
• Shaping of innovation processes at the interface between municipal authorities, private enterprise and the general public
• Optimization of crisis and disaster management in cooperation with various stakeholders
● Urban Delivery Systems
This team conducts analyses of markets, technologies and locations; it designs system solutions for customer-friendly logistics and services that are geared to demand, supports project implementations, and helps companies develop new business models. Our vision of the future aims to establish urban-friendly logistics that provide maximum sustainability and efficiency in urban spaces.
● Smart Urban Environments
The Smart Urban Environments team develops viable solutions for urban, residential and living spaces of the future. Team members accomplish this by considering flexible technologies and the diverse factors impacting people, available space and organization. Our vision of the future consists of livable and pioneering urban districts, creating a link between solutions that are both sustainable and digital.
● Urban Governance Innovation
This team helps cities methodically shape innovation processes at the interface between municipal authorities, private enterprise and the general public. Team members also support local communities in developing and implementing integrated strategies. Our vision of the future consists of bringing together sustainable urban development, data-based solutions, and the market for clean and connected technologies.
● Urban Data and Resilience
The Urban Data and Resilience team strives to make cities livable, safe and resilient. To this end, we focus on IT-based collaboration with the general public and the third sector; we also utilize existing urban data for resilient strategic and administrative processes. Our vision of the future aims at administrative and decision-making processes that are IT-based and resilient for the cities, towns and regions of tomorrow.